Pages

7.7.13

Man O' Steel Review - Superman is a super man.

Either superhero movies are getting better and better or my standards for them are crumbling to the point where spandex is all I need for contentment. For the sake of my pride I'll go with the former explanation and say that with so many of these movies zipping out of the box office lately, filmmakers everywhere have really gotten it down to an art.

 

As far as my personal background on the topic goes, I do need to make a few things clear. First of all I am in no way an expert on comics, especially on the Superman canon. Only in the past three years or so have I been inching my way into the land of comic books, so while I do like to think that I know significantly more than the average Joe, this is likely the pinnacle of my achievements in the field. Give me time! For right now understand that this review comes from a comic book novice, essentially.

For what it's worth, and without further ado, I give you my very own impression of Man of Steel...

I enjoyed Man of Steel. Part of the reason has to be my feelings walking into it, which is a factor I believe to be massively important in terms of determining movie enjoyment. Prior to my seeing the film, the rumor mill seemed to be communicating a very negative vibe for the movie, so my expectations upon seeing it were very low, which is the best mindset with which to see a movie (provided that your expectations aren't stubborn enough to discourage enjoyment). I do think this made it easy for the Man of Steel to soar above my expectations. I can understand how people may have been let down by this movie, but I was expecting, for whatever reason, garbage. I never even liked Superman. I didn't know enough about him to base an opinion.

So, in a long winded fashion, I enjoyed the film. But why?

Well, I really liked what this movie did with a character that everybody knows. Despite my having just explained that I know nothing about Superman, general public knowledge includes a lot of information regarding the character and his world. He's iconic, which is a hard, hard thing to represent effectively, and I think that Henry Cavil deserves all of the props for this one. He was inspiring and believable as Superman, which is quite an accomplishment. I liked that Henry Cavil played a very mature and grown up Clark Kent who was trying to figure out what was going on. The story jumps in at a very nice point in his life where he is still trying to understand himself but also gleefully past the emotional turmoil of whiney puberty. He was also beautiful and enormous, but that's not really significant to the artsy, filmy quality of the picture.

That artsy, filmy stuff was part of the next thing I was impressed by, and what first turned me on to the idea of a good Superman movie - the look of the movie. Man of Steel looks really, really good. Krypton looks fantastic, and in particular, the Kryptonian armor was really neat, but number one has to be the environments. Being able to fly made it so that this movie sort of seemed to go everywhere very fast, but at the moments where it paused the visuals were astounding, especially in space. It was a visual delight to see this film.

I also discovered two things that really attached me to Superman as a character. The first was a wonderful little irony that I can only hope is present in the comics; I got the impression that almost all things associated with Krypton are detrimental to Superman. It's like his home and his people that he's been longing for are his Kryptonite. As I said earlier, I don't know very much about Superman at all, and I don't know what Kryptonite actually is other than a green rock, but if it turns out to just be anything from Krypton, then that is just a beautiful, tragic, and almost Shakespearean kind of plot device. His home is poison to him. I get tingles just thinking about it. Imagine what that must do to him? Storytelling delight!

The second was that because he can do anything and has essentially no weaknesses (while on Earth), the movie turns their greatest dilemmas away from whether or not Superman can do something - he's Superman, of course he can - to whether or not he should. To be honest after some reflection I think this was my imagination a little bit. The movie does focus heavily on whether or not he can accomplish this or that mighty feat, but there are definite moments peaking through where they put their mind to what I think is always the more interesting avenue - the moral dilemma. It's the best part of Star Trek, and I think it may be the best part of Superman. It was wonderful. They presented our hero with a choice that had no good outcome, and in the end he made a choice that was a little bit good and a little bit horrible which he now has to live with. I didn't get the feeling that this was hugely what they were going for in the movie, rather I think their intention was to justify the actions of the villains, but I think it was possibly the best part of the plot, or at the very least the most pleasantly disconcerting. Again, storytelling tingles of delight.

One last thing that I have to mention is the really interestingly significant role that Superman's biological father (played by Russell Crowe - me loves Russell Crowe) had in the movie. They had to bring him in for introductions, explanations, and the only hope of anyone understanding what was going on with the alien technologies. All in all, it sounds like an awkward, all-knowing, convenient plot device sort of role, but they nailed it. Russell Crowe does a lovely job and they take advantage of his super-acting to explain everything from Superman's weird Kryptonian name to the things that are usually the most difficult for super hero movies to explain without becoming childish, the suit. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

There were downsides, of course. In particular what bothered me is a continuation of the annoying habit these movies have for really atrocious one-liners. Thor was bad for this, and Superman is no better. The line between funny, witty, and just plain painful is apparently difficult to grasp. I imagine these lines are designed to show a "real-world" reaction to men in suits flying around, but they just feel very unnecessary and I consider them to be a very cheap shot at humor. I think the best way to show the difference between nice, classy, witty lines and these atrocious assaults to the ears is to compare the "I think he's hot" line (which I may not be quoting accurately, but you'll spot it in the film as the point where I sincerely hope you cringe a few undesirables snicker) compared to Lois' "welcome to The Planet," line. One is terrible. The other is not. It may seem as though I'm making a lot of fuss for a very small thing but I can't help it, because these lines really will ruin, perhaps not a whole movie, but certainly a scene. As evidence I invite you to think back to the embarrassingly painful "oh my god" moment of Thor. That is not good writing.

On the whole I hope this review gives you reason to check out the movie, because if you do enjoy super movies I think you'll enjoy this one. Particularly if you've never been fond of or just generally ignorant regarding the Man of Steel, this movie may do for you as it has done for me, and open up the character in a new and interesting light which I look forward to seeing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment