Pages

12.11.10

sinX = Holiday Celebration?

Oddly enough, yesterday was a more satisfying Friday than today was. Yesterday I felt the sweet release of all responsibility, and yesterday I felt that any homework I had could be easily ignored until Sunday.

Today I just feel tired.

Not the nice, lazy, cozy sort of tired that comes from fuzzy pajamas or a nice couch-nap, but the cold, worn out, threadbare energy that comes from school. I'm tired.

I walked into math class on Wednesday this week- you may remember it as the day before Remembrance Day, to find the ceiling of my math class adorned with the baubles, garlands, and weird wreath things of the holiday season not nearly here yet. Everyone in the class was very excited, whereas I was sort of annoyed. It was Wednesday. You may remember it as the day before Remembrance Day, which is to say November, or no where near Christmas yet.

Anytime before December is just silly to be putting up Christmas decorations. Silly like how early Dollarama switches their holiday isle. However, there is one fact I had to consider on Wednesday (the day before Remembrance Day) before giving my math teacher a good ol' WTF stare.

This is Trinidad.

West Indies, Caribbean. A place where Halloween is sluffed off for the Hindu festival of light, Diwali, and Remembrance Day is a couple of sentences over the PA system. Christmas, though... That's a big deal in Trini. Stores down here make Dollarama look last minute in their holiday preparations. I think I saw Christmas stuff down here as early as September. The thing is that Trinidad is made up of an incredible amount of races, and they celebrate basically all of the holidays associated with the different peoples and religions. That's why I get days off for Christmas, Eid, Diwali, Easter, and Carnival (that's another post). But this is because there are people here who want to celebrate these things. North American holidays like Halloween are just starting to appear in Trinidad (although I'm not sure if they'll ever catch on), and Remembrance Day was only mentioned because
I attend a Canadian Private School. So in Trinidad, it's really not that strange for Christmas decorations to immediately replace the Diwali ones.

Having lived here for a little over two years, I understand this, but I still settled for an annoyed look at the ceiling every now and then.

While we're on the subject of holidays, I celebrated Diwali for the first time this year! By that I mean that I lighted the little Diwali candle thing (called a diya- thanks wiki.) The picture isn't mine; I wasn't that forward thinking (it was Guy Fawkes Night, I was watching V for Vendetta and wishing there were fireworks) but it's similar, and me and Dad enjoyed lighting it. Apparently that was me welcoming Mother Lakshmi into my home. I'm so sorry to any Hindu's who read this- I'm quite sure I butchered the holiday and it's meaning.

I also had some sweet flour Diwali treat things and they tasted pretty good. My math teacher's Hindu (which is how I got the candle). Normally I hate her but she was in a nice, no-homework mood on Diwali, so it was cool.

So it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, I guess. Right now I'm going to focus on some weekend Chrono Trigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment