Pages

1.7.10

Doctor Whoed.

In six days I watched seasons one to five of the 'new' Doctor Who series. I would be proud of this, but I have a feeling that I could and should have done it in five, but as my brother was kind enough to explain to me, I found it difficult to continue on the fifth day because I was going through David Tennant withdrawal.

I have one thing to say to anyone reading this who hasn't watched Doctor Who; WATCH IT. I was a little sceptical about it at first, but now I really don't know how I ever lived without it. Really and truly it's one of the most interesting and creative shows out there, especially today, where television has become something of a joke with every show falling into one of two categories: reality TV, or something to do with ghosts/vampires. How exciting.

From the first episode, I was drawn deeply into it, and I place it all on The Doctor, who in six days has become one of my favourite characters of all time.

One of the greatest things about Doctor Who is that every Doctor changes the show in almost every way, so it never get's old. Even though each episode follows the same basic plot line of "The Doctor and his companion go somewhere in the TARDIS and do something cool." I wont start on how absolutely incredible the tenth doctor was to the series, but I will say that those of you who've watched it know EXACTLY what I mean.

I did have one problem though, and it was so strange to everyone that I talked to about it that my brother told me I must have watched the show wrong. Maybe I did and maybe I didn't, but either way, I DIDN'T LIKE ROSE. Most people I talked to responded with "But I liked Rose!" or "She was better than MARTHA." For me, Rose was a Fred (from Angel). Everyone seemed to love her, and I mean LOVE her, without having any real reason for it.

The eleventh Doctor. I still sort of feel that he isn't the best, but having finished the fifth season, I don't think he's that bad. He's his own Doctor in his own right, and I like him. Although I do think that he had a rather violent experience falling down the ugly tree at some point in his childhood. I think what really made me sad was finding out that Robert Carlyle was on the list for possible eleventh Doctors, and he WASN'T chosen. Although I suppose he could have been busy doing SGU anyway. So come on everyone, ROBERT CARLYLE FOR NUMBER TWELVE!

The TARDIS is another one of the high points of the show, for me it became like Serenity in that it was a beloved character of it's own. Who doesn't love getting attached to space ships?

Finally there's THE TITLE THEME. It pissed me off when they changed it slightly for season four, but the fifth season made me hate it a little. I loved how lame the old one was, with the corny-sounding beeps and whirring noises typical of classic science fiction. They seemed to be continuously trying to make it "cool". I don't like cool. I liked the lame-ass geeky version. I liked it A LOT.

Oh, I lied, I have another thing to say to people who haven't seen Doctor Who, if you're gonna watch it, awesome, but you MAY consider waiting until closer to Christmas or else you'll be like the rest of us, sitting around with around six months of going cold, cold turkey on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment